Originally posted by icausetrouble View Post
    OR

I.C. T.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits

Comment

• griddad09
      Season Ticket Holder
      • Nov 2010

tonight at our Div. 1 regionals held at Pickerington north HS,,4 boys 4x800 relay teams all broke the regional record and in the girls 100m HHs the top 4 qualifiers to the finals were 14.14, 14.41, 14.21 and 14.74..in the girls 300LHs the top 4 were 42.53,44.13,44.32 and 44.35. in the boys 110HHs it was 14.19, 14.27 14.56 and 14.81. the boys 300s were pretty fast too,,it was almost like being at the state meet at our regionals today,,the finals on friday will be very fast !

Comment

• cas8043
        Donating Member
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by icausetrouble View Post
        CAS8043 "The athletes start to "taper" their workouts so they "peak" for important meets. Watch the times of distance runners really drop the next two weeks if they have a good coach."

I did not realize that local high school track athletes did that. (To be honest, I did not expect local track coaches to be smart enough to figure out how to do it correctly.)
        I will say that Jeremy Midei (SJC) is as good as any high school distance coach in the state. I would love to see him get the talent that walks around the halls of a large school. Look at the results of his runners compared to the other athletes at SJC. If he went to a large school in this valley they could retire the OVA? X-C trophy to that school.
        http://www.wtov9.com/video/26022754/index.html
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5WeByMzLSc

Comment

• richsrunner
          All Ohio Valley
          • Jul 2008

There are a lot of quality distance coaches on both sides of the river that know how to train and taper their athletes resulting in peak performances at the end of the season. I have also seen athletes that either did not listen to their coaches or who had coaches that did not understand this concept and they end up running their best times too early in the season.
          RICH S>

Comment

• TheHawk
            JV Squad
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by cas8043 View Post
            I will say that Jeremy Midei (SJC) is as good as any high school distance coach in the state.
            I totally agree. In addition to what he does with his kids at St. Johns he also lends a lot of help to other programs around the valley. He's been very influential in the development of Tara Tollett (Shadyside).

Comment

• Jake
              OVATHLETICS.COM 3K CLUB
              • Nov 2010

I will say that Jeremy Midei (SJC) is as good as any high school distance coach in the state. I would love to see him get the talent that walks around the halls of a large school. Look at the results of his runners compared to the other athletes at SJC. If he went to a large school in this valley they could retire the OVA? X-C trophy to that school.
              Ditto that!!!!

Comment

• secretstud96
                TROY FETTY
                • Jul 2008

Jordan Piergallini runs 10.84. First seed headed into finals on Saturday
                Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
                Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!”
                – Sun Tzu, quotes from the Art of War

Comment

• goirish9
                  Cheerleader
                  • Sep 2008

Also heard he won the 200, but didn't hear a time. The 4x1 is sitting in 5th right now, so they have a shot.

Agree on Coach Midei, he is one of the top coaches in the state. Little known fact about Midei, he led the parochial league in rushing as an 8th grader at St. J, outrushing Eddie Drummond.

Comment

• richsrunner
                    All Ohio Valley
                    • Jul 2008

GOOD LUCK to all Valley athletes in Athens today!!!
                    Drink lots of H2O !!!!!
                    RICH S>

Comment

• Short Line Man
                      Donating Member
                      • Mar 2011

Taper

Originally posted by richsrunner View Post
                      There are a lot of quality distance coaches on both sides of the river that know how to train and taper their athletes resulting in peak performances at the end of the season. I have also seen athletes that either did not listen to their coaches or who had coaches that did not understand this concept and they end up running their best times too early in the season.
                      What do you guys mean by "train and taper" ?? How is this done ??

Comment

• cas8043
                        Donating Member
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Short Line Man View Post
                        What do you guys mean by "train and taper" ?? How is this done ??
                        In short, you run a great deal of over distance and build a base early to mid-season, you then start running speed workouts at or faster than race pace, in the taper phase you do a great amount of SPEED work with a lot of rest between sets, the last 2 weeks you back off to let the muscles recover in preparation for running at PEAK speed. A few comments that coaches use, "The hay is already in the barn", "It is time to sharpen the sword" and "You can do more to lose a race in the last two weeks than win a race" (overtrain)

Comment

• Short Line Man
                          Donating Member
                          • Mar 2011

Thanks

In short, you run a great deal of over distance and build a base early to mid-season, you then start running speed workouts at or faster than race pace, in the taper phase you do a great amount of SPEED work with a lot of rest between sets, the last 2 weeks you back off to let the muscles recover in preparation for running at PEAK speed. A few comments that coaches use, "The hay is already in the barn", "It is time to sharpen the sword" and "You can do more to lose a race in the last two weeks than win a race" (overtrain)
                          Ok - By speed work - you mean (for long dist runners) multiple 200s and 400s (?)

Comment

• cas8043
                            Donating Member
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Short Line Man View Post
                            Ok - By speed work - you mean (for long dist runners) multiple 200s and 400s (?)
                            Along with 800's,600's and 5oo'. Also doing race simulations is always good. example for an 800 runner, run a 400 then a minute rest, a 200 and another minute rest and then a 200. Do three sets with total rest between sets.

Comment

• richsrunner
                              All Ohio Valley
                              • Jul 2008

Along with 800's,600's and 5oo'. Also doing race simulations is always good. example for an 800 runner, run a 400 then a minute rest, a 200 and another minute rest and then a 200. Do three sets with total rest between sets.
                              You mean you are supposed to rest between speed intervals? I thought you just kept jogging back to the start and ran another one. LOL
                              RICH S>

Comment

• cas8043
                                Donating Member
                                • Jul 2008

Rich I would never question your philosophy on 800 training since I know what you ran, but I just posted a generic workout to give an example.

Comment

Working...
                                X