• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secretstud96
    TROY FETTY
    • Jul 2008

WVIAC Break-up

Nine football-playing members of the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WVIAC) will withdraw from the league to form a new regional all-sports conference. The new, yet to be named league, will consist of 12 schools from West Virginia and surrounding states.

MetroNews Sports has learned that presidents from the University of Charleston, Concord University, Fairmont State University, Glenville State College, Seton Hill University (located in Greensburg, Pa.), Shepherd University, West Liberty University, West Virginia State University, and West Virginia Wesleyan have contacted WVIAC commissioner Barry Blizzard to inform him of their intentions.
    Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
    Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!”
    – Sun Tzu, quotes from the Art of War
  • BrianGossett
    Founder of OVATHLETICS.COM
    • Jun 2008

Very interesting! Being that all of the same schools are joining the new league, it makes you assume that they didn't like the treatment of the WVIAC in terms of promoting football - I wonder what the hang up was, and I'm surprised that it couldn't be worked out.
    "Failure gave me Strength... Pain was my Motivation" - Michael Jordan

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle... victorious." - Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

Comment

• Marion Page
      Valued Contributor
      • Sep 2008

West Liberty and Wheeling Jesuit in different leagues is bizarre.

Comment

• slony
        Valued Contributor
        • Aug 2008

football schools not getting along with basketball schools? i swear ive heard this story before but i cant point my finger on it

Comment

• thatsright
          Cheerleader
          • Jul 2008

I thought Alderson Broaddus started football?

Comment

• User Removed
            Removed
            • Jun 2008

I'm hearing that the WVIAC has a good chance of just folding up shop.

Comment

• secretstud96
              TROY FETTY
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by thatsright View Post
              I thought Alderson Broaddus started football?
              That is true.

I think this split comes down to $$. These schools leaving have sunk a significant amount of $$ in athletics and the others have not.
              Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
              Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!”
              – Sun Tzu, quotes from the Art of War

Comment

• BrianGossett
                • Jun 2008

Wheeling Jesuit is considering other athletic conference options - http://www.ovathletics.com/home/whee...-options/11866

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle... victorious." - Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

Comment

• User Removed
                  Removed
                  • Jun 2008

WJU my possibly look at D-1 options

Comment

• BrianGossett
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by MJref View Post
                    WJU my possibly look at D-1 options
                    I would love to see WJU and WLU both take a D1 leap.

WJU would have to totally redo their high school style GYM to even be considered. Facilities play a part into being a D1 program, and their gym is hardly accommodating for a high school game.

Comment

• Dr DNG
                      Valued Contributor
                      • Aug 2008

Correct me if I am wrong, but the way I read this
                      is that the football schools have devoted significant
                      funds into football and by spending so much on
                      football, it puts them at a disadvantage when
                      playing the non-football schools in other sports.

Is that what they are saying?

Comment

• Dan Carrel
                        Cheerleader
                        • Oct 2011

This should have a number of positives.

As I understand it, part of the reason the conference hasn't been able to expand and get more football teams is because it would be too large for other sports. This should allow them to go after some competitive football teams to make the conference stronger which is necessary for play-off opportunities. If they get some of the teams that have been discussed like UVA-Wise, UNC-Pembroke, Urbana, and/or one other that is slipping my mind right now it also opens up recruiting opportunities in other parts of the region that some schools haven't been able to utilize as much. If managed correctly this will probably turn out to be a solid move for the 9 teams involved.

I wonder why AB wasn't included in this? They will have a football team competing in 2013 which is the year this new conference will begin. I'm curious if they were left off solely because they don't have a team competing in DII currently or if they have no intention of getting involved.

Comment

• Wildman
                          All Ohio Valley
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Dan Carrel View Post
                          This should have a number of positives.

As I understand it, part of the reason the conference hasn't been able to expand and get more football teams is because it would be too large for other sports. This should allow them to go after some competitive football teams to make the conference stronger which is necessary for play-off opportunities. If they get some of the teams that have been discussed like UVA-Wise, UNC-Pembroke, Urbana, and/or one other that is slipping my mind right now it also opens up recruiting opportunities in other parts of the region that some schools haven't been able to utilize as much. If managed correctly this will probably turn out to be a solid move for the 9 teams involved.

I wonder why AB wasn't included in this? They will have a football team competing in 2013 which is the year this new conference will begin. I'm curious if they were left off solely because they don't have a team competing in DII currently or if they have no intention of getting involved.
                          It's probably because AB voted with the other 5 schools to deny admission into the WVIAC for UVA Wise. They needed a 2/3 majority to get in which is ten. Vote was 9-6.

Comment

Working...
                          X