Poll: Who is your All-Time OVAC Quarterback?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 235

Thread: Who is your OVAC All-Time Quarterback ?

  1. #141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler42 View Post
    He had offers to go anywhere he wanted reitter put his nephew at qb ahead of him moved him to wr he quits his senior year was begged by teammates to come back played wr his senior year dropped out of school after football season the rest of the story you all can go dig up
    My point is why didn't he take one of those offers??

  2. #142

    Default

    Great question I have no idea he didn't finish high school

  3. #143
    Season Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    449
    Rep Power
    442

    Default

    Reitter did play his nephew ahead of him, but he did not have offers to go anywhere he wanted.

  4. #144
    Cheerleader
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Samos,Greece
    Posts
    156
    Rep Power
    409

    Default

    A blast from the past but a quarterback that could play in any era was Martins Ferrry's Bobby Distefano a 1st team all Ohio and also Ohio Mr. Football in his senior year.

  5. #145
    Valued Contributor Jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bellaire
    Posts
    1,566
    Rep Power
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BELARGE1 View Post
    A blast from the past but a quarterback that could play in any era was Martins Ferrry's Bobby Distefano a 1st team all Ohio and also Ohio Mr. Football in his senior year.
    Possibly the best OVAC quarterback from the 1960's.

  6. #146

    Default

    As far as contributing to his team's success, there is no doubt that Zack Collaros is the best quarterback the valley has ever seen. His single best play was on defense against Dover in 2006. That 100-yard interception won the game for us, ultimately allowing us to win a second consecutive state championship. I'm hoping to go to Canada one of these days and see him play up there.
    Last edited by FairwoodKing; 06-05-2013 at 11:44 PM.

  7. #147

    Default

    60"s era i"ll go with mike sherwood

  8. #148
    Ohio Valley Sports Expert ohio3002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,047
    Rep Power
    486

    Default

    Steuby fans had great teams, but you're crazy if you think you ever had the qb with the most actual TALENT! (It would be the least of your worries anyway, and his). I would take Fred Ray of Ferry over him. Good career at OU, and never got into trouble either. Best to ever come out of Ferry, followed by Ryan Church.

    Nate and Jose Davis CLEARLY had the best talent period! Watch the video, the talent was amazing. Only one who can touch it may be the NEXT Davis. Two years folks!

    And yes, you would be hard pressed to find a better qb in the 60s than Mike Sherwood, who did very well for Bobby Bowden at WVU after a great senior year.

  9. #149

    Default

    I'm surprised there's no mention of Rob Kubik from St. Clairsville. He did play every other position on the field so his accomplishments as a signal caller are probably easily overlooked.

  10. #150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ohio3002 View Post
    Steuby fans had great teams, but you're crazy if you think you ever had the qb with the most actual TALENT! (It would be the least of your worries anyway, and his). I would take Fred Ray of Ferry over him. Good career at OU, and never got into trouble either. Best to ever come out of Ferry, followed by Ryan Church.
    Who's Fred Ray? I never heard of him. Who cares about Ohio U? They are nobodies. Collaros was still the best qb the valley has ever seen. 30-0 record as a starter and two state championships. Nobody can top that.

  11. #151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FairwoodKing View Post
    Who's Fred Ray? I never heard of him. Who cares about Ohio U? They are nobodies. Collaros was still the best qb the valley has ever seen. 30-0 record as a starter and two state championships. Nobody can top that.
    Fred Ray was the MF QB in 1999 and 2000. He walked on at OU, and eventually ended up being their starting QB. I THINK he played basketball at OU too?
    "Failure gave me Strength... Pain was my Motivation" - Michael Jordan


    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle... victorious." - Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

  12. #152

    Default

    I apologize for demeaning Ohio U. It's a good school. I have some close friends who graduated from there. They would be very upset with me for putting down their school and I do apologize.

    But I still have to say that Zack Collaros is by far the best quarterback the Valley has ever seen. When you go 30-0 as a starter and win two state championships, you have to be the best. He was the key to winning those championships. We could not have done it without him.

    Give the Devil his due. Collaros sparked this team to two consecutive state championships. True, he needed the rest of the team to back him up, but he was still the kingpin. He will always go down as the best quarterback the valley has ever seen. Just accept it. He's the best!

  13. #153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OVATHLETICS.COM View Post
    Fred Ray was the MF QB in 1999 and 2000. He walked on at OU, and eventually ended up being their starting QB. I THINK he played basketball at OU too?
    full ride for Football
    “Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win”- Sun Tzu

  14. #154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anderson View Post
    Nate did not have the brains to play in NFL
    I do believe that this comment is way out of line and has nothing at all to do with this thread. The readers are picking the all-time best qb for the last 20 years, not making negative comments about past players. As a moderator, I feel this comment is so ignorant that I would remove it.
    "There are no football players at Brooke, these kids frickin suck." Stu Goldstein

  15. #155
    Valued Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    96816
    Posts
    1,233
    Rep Power
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FairwoodKing View Post
    I apologize for demeaning Ohio U. It's a good school. I have some close friends who graduated from there. They would be very upset with me for putting down their school and I do apologize.
    Considering you regularly demean people, programs, and schools in your posts, you have a very low credibility.

  16. #156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hare_2002 View Post
    Considering you regularly demean people, programs, and schools in your posts, you have a very low credibility.
    Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

  17. #157

    Default

    I've had enough of this. Every day my last post is updated as though it were a new post. Mods, I insist that you close this thread.

  18. #158

    Default

    It's hard not to give Collaros of Steubenville this vote. He was just a great quarterback and should be playing in the NFL, in my opinion. Shadyside has had many good quarterbacks but I think the most overlooked quarterback in this area was Billy Merryman. I think his size had so much to do with why people in the valley didn't give him his due praise. I just hope Billy becomes a football coach someday, he really was special.

  19. #159
    All Ohio Valley
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shadyside
    Posts
    580
    Rep Power
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadysidesue View Post
    It's hard not to give Collaros of Steubenville this vote. He was just a great quarterback and should be playing in the NFL, in my opinion. Shadyside has had many good quarterbacks but I think the most overlooked quarterback in this area was Billy Merryman. I think his size had so much to do with why people in the valley didn't give him his due praise. I just hope Billy becomes a football coach someday, he really was special.
    Billy graduated from Ohio State and is now a teacher and assistant football coach at Hamilton Township near Columbus.

  20. #160
    Season Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hilliard,OH.
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    262

    Default

    Ohio3002,,,Fred Ray was a very good QB and so was Ryan Church...but to say he was the BEST to ever come out of Ferry i would have to disagree...Dennis Swearingen was a very good QB at Ferry from 1979 to 1981,,,he went on to Ohio U. and was a starting DB before he became the starting QB for 2 1/2 seasons.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •