Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teammates

All Ohio Valley St_C_dirkadirka's Avatar

Default Teammates

teammates.jpg

At the risk of plagiarizing, I am copying and pasting a post from a friend of mine on Facebook. It has been a long week in St C, and this picture and post sums it all up.

"Teammates. In one of the most unselfish acts I can ever recall in high school sports, last Friday in St. Clairsville's game at Edison High School, No. 10 Michael Ferns took off on a 52 yard run and intentionally ran out of bounds at the 1 yard line. Logan Thompson, No. 17, took it from there...Thompson, who had lost his father, Paul on Wednesday of last week, was then handed the ball and ran through a giant hole to score in his father's memory. This pic was shot after Logan's TD run behind the St. C. bench. Please excuse the lack of complete clarity, but I think I might have been a little shaky... Thanks, Michael and Logan for sharing the moment and for teaching what it means to be a Teammate!~ God's Speed, Paul Thompson!~"

Ohio Valley Sports Expert Jello Man's Avatar

Kind of puts these St. C. kids who get bashed by so many people on this forum in a different light -- doesn't it.

Thanks for the post. Good luck to the Thompsons during this difficult time.

Ferns has always been a class act. I now admire him even more! Special that's the only way to describe this event!

This is part of the reason why St.c has had a successful run in sports lately. You win with good people!!

Valued Contributor

Class act!!

Season Ticket Holder XxPurple ReignxX's Avatar

Top class act from Ferns, thats great!
    673 ALL-TIME WINS.
    CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS, CANT LOSE!
    FERRY FOREVER

Nice to see young men realizing the game is not bigger than the reason he did it. Makes you feel good about the future of the sport and the kids.

Great story. Michigan is getting a fine athlete and it sounds like an even better young man.
    "I hope the EL players don't make a habit of jumping over players...#6 tried against Park...didn't work and he was almost made a liberal democrat on the spot..." - Kappy

Classy.

That is a beautiful act of friendship! Don't underestimate the ability of these young men to
    understand what life is all about.

I seriously thought this might be a thread about Big Red and was so glad it wasn't!!!! Thx for the GOOD NEWS story!!! Two thumbs up!!!!
    Last edited by Purplesage; 10-09-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RUN THE BALL ...
    RUN THE CLOCK ...
    WIN THE GAME !!!

Thanks for sharing, Dirk!

I hope Ferns makes it all the way. Very impressive.

Do not know much about St Clairsville...but a fan now......Great show of compassion and class by Fern.....Thoughts and Prayers to Logan..Losing a father is very tough at any age, but at your age extremely hard.....Keep your head up and cherish your true friends and family. I think you can count Michael as one of them.....

A true gentleman. Maybe the kids out in St C truly were "Born Better".
    Who can argue after reading that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
    A true gentleman. Maybe the kids out in St C truly were "Born Better".
    Who can argue after reading that story.
    I don't know about "Born Better", but it's safe to say that Mr. Ferns has been "Raised Better".
    "I hope the EL players don't make a habit of jumping over players...#6 tried against Park...didn't work and he was almost made a liberal democrat on the spot..." - Kappy

So many prayers to the mom and those 3 boys. Sometimes this sport is more than just a game. It becomes a character building learning experience. Amazing how football and friendships go hand in hand. Awesome kids in this town! Do your thing St. C!

Great Story
    RICH S>

Wow, what a tremendous act of class. Great move by the staff to give him the ball too. St. C has already locked up their playoff spot and many of us will be pulling for the local team but this pushes my support to a whole new level. Prayers to the Thompson family and all the best to Michael Ferns. It's obvious this young man has been brought up well. This story made my day even though it came against the Wildcats. I wish we all could have understood so the cheers for this touchdown could have come from both sides of the stadium!

What a story! This kid is the Ohio Valley's Tim Tebow! Incredibly unselfish, mature, and well mannered... And a heck of a student athlete!
    "Failure gave me Strength... Pain was my Motivation" - Michael Jordan

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle... victorious." - Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)