Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 63 Years In The Making: Shadyside At Bellaire in Week 3

OVATHLETICS.COM 3K CLUB Jello Man's Avatar

Default 63 Years In The Making: Shadyside At Bellaire in Week 3

For the first time since 1950, these two border towns will meet on the gridiron! This should provide quite the scene at Nelson Field in Week 3.

According to the Bellaire record book, the Big Reds and Tigers met 29 times from 1909 to 1950. To no surprise, Bellaire dominates the series with 24 wins, 2 losses and 3 ties. The 2 Shadyside wins came in 1934 and 1943.

I wonder how long it will take theses 2 teams, not to mention the 2 fan bases, to go from "friendly rivals" to something else!

For a very early prediction, I will pick Bellaire to win, 40-28. The difference is that the Big Reds have a little bit more experience and a little bit more depth -- and they are playing at home.

Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Jello Man View Post
    For the first time since 1950, these two border towns will meet on the gridiron! This should provide quite the scene at Nelson Field in Week 3.

According to the Bellaire record book, the Big Reds and Tigers met 29 times from 1909 to 1950. To no surprise, Bellaire dominates the series with 24 wins, 2 losses and 3 ties. The 2 Shadyside wins came in 1934 and 1943.

I wonder how long it will take theses 2 teams, not to mention the 2 fan bases, to go from "friendly rivals" to something else!

For a very early prediction, I will pick Bellaire to win, 40-28. The difference is that the Big Reds have a little bit more experience and a little bit more depth -- and they are playing at home.

Can't wait!
    What's the ticket availability look like? I think I would definitely want to see this one since it's on a Saturday and I don't think of what other game could be better in its time slot.

Suspended Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
    What's the ticket availability look like? I think I would definitely want to see this one since it's on a Saturday and I don't think of what other game could be better in its time slot.
    This game better be the WTOV 9 Game of the Week for Week 3. The ratings will be off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
    Saturday afternoon games in Bellaire have always added to the gate. I have heard real "old timers" say that Bellaire crowds in the 1930's and 40's were in the 9-10 thousand area. That was when Bellaire had a population for 15,000 plus and so did most of their opponents. I highly doubt that those numbers were actually accurate, most people always exaggerate attendance numbers. There simply isn't the available space in Nelson Field to have numbers that high, no matter how deep they stand around the playing field. I have seen multiple crowds in the 7,000 range in the past 15-17 years with probably 1995 games against Ironton and Ferry on back to back weeks. IMO, no matter how many valley people come to this game, I doubt you will see much over 5,000, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by announcerguydrew View Post
    This game better be the WTOV 9 Game of the Week for Week 3. The ratings will be off the charts.
    They'll drop the ball and not show this game. Agree it should be one of the top games that week.

I heard Bellaire will be involved in 4 "game of the week" broadcasts this season. Can anyone confirm that?

(@ Creek, Ferry, Shadyside and St.C)
    Last edited by hooptyhorn; 06-27-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: add games
    Pride~Spirit~Tradition & HEART

Quote Originally Posted by hooptyhorn View Post
    I heard Bellaire will be involved in 4 "game of the week" broadcasts this season. Can anyone confirm that?

I can't confirm it, but it would sure make sense. What other good games are they going to get on a Saturday?

Valued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Jello Man View Post
    For the first time since 1950
    That's incredible...

This game will require everyone to get their ticket and arrive very early (if you want a seat). My dad used to take us to this game and we would end up sitting in the grass by the flagpole. Then a trip to Gulla's. Everyone I talk to in Shadyside are so happy this game is finally going to be played again. See that Bellaire is already being predicted to beat my Tigers. Well, I'm sure these kids read these posts and will rise to the challenge game time. Should be a really good game.

I hope everyone keeps telling the Big Reds that they will run away with it. The Tigers love that. The final will look like a basketball game with the Tigers shocking the overconfident Big Reds

The only people predicting Bellaire will "run away with it" are non-Bellaire people on this site.

The players know this game will be just as difficult (if not more) as any other game on their schedule.

When Shadyside starts playing Creek, St.C, Harrison, Edison and Ferry - then they can run their mouths

All Ohio Valley

The only people predicting Bellaire will "run away with it" are non-Bellaire people on this site.

The players know this game will be just as difficult (if not more) as any other game on their schedule.

When Shadyside starts playing Creek, St.C, Harrison, Edison and Ferry - then they can run their mouths
    I've read all 11 posts on this thread and I fail to see where anybody is running their mouths. Most are saying it's about time. As far as playing the above mentioned teams, and I know it's just scrimmages, Shadyside has scrimmaged Creek and Ferry for the last several years and played Harrison in a regular season game 2010 if I remember correctly. Not bad for a D VII team.
    Last edited by tiger77; 06-28-2013 at 12:47 AM.

All Ohio Valley

I can see this. With the year Bellaire is expected to have they will be exciting to watch. The only problem I can foresee is that wtov doesn't like to travel south of I 70 too much.

I don't think a 40-28 score is picking anyone to "run away with it." I just think Bellaire has a better chance to get a couple of stops on Shadyside than Shadyside has of getting those stops on Bellaire.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger77 View Post
    I've read all 11 posts on this thread and I fail to see where anybody is running their mouths. Most are saying it's about time. As far as playing the above mentioned teams, and I know it's just scrimmages, Shadyside has scrimmaged Creek and Ferry for the last several years and played Harrison in 2010 if I remember correctly. Not bad for a D VII team.
    lol - there's more to the world than this website - lol

Season Ticket Holder

You don't see any Shadyside faithful "running their mouths" here. There's not 1 thread that says Shadyside will go 10-0. Theres several saying Bellaire will. But, I do give Bellaire credit where credit is due. They took this game knowing if they lose, they got beat by D-VII Shadyside, If they win, it's just another game they should win, big deal. I love the fact that the smashmouth football games are alive again in Shadyside. And no one can complain about the excitement and the amount of money the gate will see because of this game. 2 struggling school districts for 1 game can enjoy a little money, and a brand new rivalry. I say put this one on the schedule every year. Even if Shadyside is on the losing end, its an exciting week and game. I won't miss this one.

Default Great job

Quote Originally Posted by imatiger View Post
    You don't see any Shadyside faithful "running their mouths" here. There's not 1 thread that says Shadyside will go 10-0. Theres several saying Bellaire will. But, I do give Bellaire credit where credit is due. They took this game knowing if they lose, they got beat by D-VII Shadyside, If they win, it's just another game they should win, big deal. I love the fact that the smashmouth football games are alive again in Shadyside. And no one can complain about the excitement and the amount of money the gate will see because of this game. 2 struggling school districts for 1 game can enjoy a little money, and a brand new rivalry. I say put this one on the schedule every year. Even if Shadyside is on the losing end, its an exciting week and game. I won't miss this one.
    Love to see my Bellaire vs Shadyside, and finally good local teams battle.
    Just like years ago when Brooke played Big Red, although not a close game, the two teams and buildup was amazing.
    This year, Park vs Big Red may have the same making, if both teams go in about 7-1 or such, that stadium could be wall to wall.
    But as you said early, WAY TO EARLY, not sure who has what and injuries may come into play.

Suspended Member

When this game was scheduled I cleared my calender for that date so that I could make certain that I would be there for this game and I am really looking forward to these 2 programs getting together on the gridiron for the first time since 1950.

This is a landmark game and event for the Valley.

Good post. If any Bellaire posters are saying Bellaire will go 10-0 it's just fan enthusiasm and not slighting any opponent. It should and will be good game and I might imagine that even Shadyside fans will agree that Bellaire is the favorite. Of course the game is played on the field and anything can happen.

Valued Contributor

As a neutral observer I am excited to see this game being played. It is a great thing for both schools and for the valley football fans. It sort of reminds me of the old Moundsville and Union rivalry. Still hate MooseMeat!!!