• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jello Man
    The Yoda of Ohio Valley Sports
    • Jul 2011

63 Years In The Making: Shadyside At Bellaire in Week 3

For the first time since 1950, these two border towns will meet on the gridiron! This should provide quite the scene at Nelson Field in Week 3.

According to the Bellaire record book, the Big Reds and Tigers met 29 times from 1909 to 1950. To no surprise, Bellaire dominates the series with 24 wins, 2 losses and 3 ties. The 2 Shadyside wins came in 1934 and 1943.

I wonder how long it will take theses 2 teams, not to mention the 2 fan bases, to go from "friendly rivals" to something else!

For a very early prediction, I will pick Bellaire to win, 40-28. The difference is that the Big Reds have a little bit more experience and a little bit more depth -- and they are playing at home.

Can't wait!
  • Sykotyk
    Valued Contributor
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Jello Man View Post
    For the first time since 1950, these two border towns will meet on the gridiron! This should provide quite the scene at Nelson Field in Week 3.

According to the Bellaire record book, the Big Reds and Tigers met 29 times from 1909 to 1950. To no surprise, Bellaire dominates the series with 24 wins, 2 losses and 3 ties. The 2 Shadyside wins came in 1934 and 1943.

I wonder how long it will take theses 2 teams, not to mention the 2 fan bases, to go from "friendly rivals" to something else!

For a very early prediction, I will pick Bellaire to win, 40-28. The difference is that the Big Reds have a little bit more experience and a little bit more depth -- and they are playing at home.

Can't wait!
    What's the ticket availability look like? I think I would definitely want to see this one since it's on a Saturday and I don't think of what other game could be better in its time slot.

Comment

• announcerguydrew
      Suspended Member
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Sykotyk View Post
      What's the ticket availability look like? I think I would definitely want to see this one since it's on a Saturday and I don't think of what other game could be better in its time slot.
      This game better be the WTOV 9 Game of the Week for Week 3. The ratings will be off the charts.

Comment

• Jake
        OVATHLETICS.COM 3K CLUB
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sykotyk View Post
        Saturday afternoon games in Bellaire have always added to the gate. I have heard real "old timers" say that Bellaire crowds in the 1930's and 40's were in the 9-10 thousand area. That was when Bellaire had a population for 15,000 plus and so did most of their opponents. I highly doubt that those numbers were actually accurate, most people always exaggerate attendance numbers. There simply isn't the available space in Nelson Field to have numbers that high, no matter how deep they stand around the playing field. I have seen multiple crowds in the 7,000 range in the past 15-17 years with probably 1995 games against Ironton and Ferry on back to back weeks. IMO, no matter how many valley people come to this game, I doubt you will see much over 5,000, if that.

Comment

• 88 Bulldog
          Valued Contributor
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by announcerguydrew View Post
          This game better be the WTOV 9 Game of the Week for Week 3. The ratings will be off the charts.
          They'll drop the ball and not show this game. Agree it should be one of the top games that week.

Comment

• hooptyhorn
            All Ohio Valley
            • Sep 2010

I heard Bellaire will be involved in 4 "game of the week" broadcasts this season. Can anyone confirm that?

(@ Creek, Ferry, Shadyside and St.C)
            Last edited by hooptyhorn; 06-27-2013, 07:25 PM. Reason: add games
            Pride~Spirit~Tradition & HEART

Comment

• Jello Man
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by hooptyhorn View Post
              I heard Bellaire will be involved in 4 "game of the week" broadcasts this season. Can anyone confirm that?

I can't confirm it, but it would sure make sense. What other good games are they going to get on a Saturday?

Comment

• hare_2002
                Valued Contributor
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Jello Man View Post
                For the first time since 1950
                That's incredible...

Comment

• shadysidesue
                  • Sep 2010

This game will require everyone to get their ticket and arrive very early (if you want a seat). My dad used to take us to this game and we would end up sitting in the grass by the flagpole. Then a trip to Gulla's. Everyone I talk to in Shadyside are so happy this game is finally going to be played again. See that Bellaire is already being predicted to beat my Tigers. Well, I'm sure these kids read these posts and will rise to the challenge game time. Should be a really good game.
                  Tiger Pride Is On Our Side!!

Comment

• HOOPS24
                    Cheerleader
                    • Mar 2011

I hope everyone keeps telling the Big Reds that they will run away with it. The Tigers love that. The final will look like a basketball game with the Tigers shocking the overconfident Big Reds

Comment

• hooptyhorn
                      All Ohio Valley
                      • Sep 2010

The only people predicting Bellaire will "run away with it" are non-Bellaire people on this site.

The players know this game will be just as difficult (if not more) as any other game on their schedule.

When Shadyside starts playing Creek, St.C, Harrison, Edison and Ferry - then they can run their mouths

Comment

• tiger77
                        All Ohio Valley
                        • May 2010

The only people predicting Bellaire will "run away with it" are non-Bellaire people on this site.

The players know this game will be just as difficult (if not more) as any other game on their schedule.

When Shadyside starts playing Creek, St.C, Harrison, Edison and Ferry - then they can run their mouths
                        I've read all 11 posts on this thread and I fail to see where anybody is running their mouths. Most are saying it's about time. As far as playing the above mentioned teams, and I know it's just scrimmages, Shadyside has scrimmaged Creek and Ferry for the last several years and played Harrison in a regular season game 2010 if I remember correctly. Not bad for a D VII team.
                        Last edited by tiger77; 06-27-2013, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• tiger77
                          All Ohio Valley
                          • May 2010

I can see this. With the year Bellaire is expected to have they will be exciting to watch. The only problem I can foresee is that wtov doesn't like to travel south of I 70 too much.

Comment

• Jello Man
                            • Jul 2011

I don't think a 40-28 score is picking anyone to "run away with it." I just think Bellaire has a better chance to get a couple of stops on Shadyside than Shadyside has of getting those stops on Bellaire.

Comment

• hooptyhorn
                              All Ohio Valley
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by tiger77 View Post
                              I've read all 11 posts on this thread and I fail to see where anybody is running their mouths. Most are saying it's about time. As far as playing the above mentioned teams, and I know it's just scrimmages, Shadyside has scrimmaged Creek and Ferry for the last several years and played Harrison in 2010 if I remember correctly. Not bad for a D VII team.
                              lol - there's more to the world than this website - lol

Comment

Working...
                              X