Real sports talk is hard to find on this forum anymore...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • onefromsmalltown
    Cheerleader
    • Sep 2013

Real sports talk is hard to find on this forum anymore...

I have been following this forum for while and then joined last year. The level of real sports talk is slowly (or quickly in some cases if anything about Steubenville is mentioned) dying on this site.

Threads are hijacked by haters and when the thread is about one topic it is quickly taken over by people talking about teams not even involved in the discussion.

Polls can't even make it though a couple of posts and people want to weigh in on what is wrong with it.

Am I the only one seeing this trend??
    Winning is a lot of hard work, intentional planning and a bit of luck.
  • BrianGossett
    Founder of OVATHLETICS.COM
    • Jun 2008

I agree. The quality of our dialog has taken a dip. When I started this site in 2008, the landscape was different. I feel like just a few years ago people were more open minded, excited for the success of others, and open to unlearning and relearning.

Now, I see more of the opposite.
    "Failure gave me Strength... Pain was my Motivation" - Michael Jordan

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle... victorious." - Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

Comment

• Dr DNG
      Valued Contributor
      • Aug 2008

Still like the site.
      -
      I just avoid some threads.
      -
      Dr G.
      -

Comment

• football7
        Valued Contributor
        • Jan 2011

I love the site. No site is perfect and any site involving people speaking their minds will have issues. There is no way to avoid this but I do believe the lack of quality of talk is due to too many younger people, specifically high school kids. Some posters it is evident by how they talk and some even include it in their screen name. I've seen one name that included 2017, assuming a graduation date. Posters like that are why we see predictions like team A will beat team B 45-7 just because I like them. Again, no way to really avoid this though. It's a public forum and kids as young as elementary school have consistent computer access.

Comment

• BuckCreek
          Season Ticket Holder
          • May 2010

It seems that some posters only purpose is to create anger among certain schools and cause angry retaliations. While I enjoy lively banter about sports, I try to avoid the posts that stir the pot. I still enjoy this site. Sometimes I just read, to stay out of the ridiculous arguments.

Comment

• onefromsmalltown
            Cheerleader
            • Sep 2013

FINALLY! Real sports dialogue again!!! If football didn't start soon this was going to get ugly. This is the best site for local sports talk so I am glad to see intelligent and relevant posts again!!!
            Winning is a lot of hard work, intentional planning and a bit of luck.

Comment

• hare_2002
              Valued Contributor
              • Sep 2012

The one thing that bothers me a lot on this site is posters (presumably adults) bashing 16-18 year old kids.

Comment

• redthunder77
                All Ohio Valley
                • Jun 2013

To many posters on this board have their own personal agendas for posting, which dilutes the substance and quality of the posts being made.

Comment

• bigred_91
                  All Ohio Valley
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by hare_2002 View Post
                  The one thing that bothers me a lot on this site is posters (presumably adults) bashing 16-18 year old kids.
                  Never cool bashing 16-18 year old kids! I'm a fan of all OVAC schools, I cheer for all of them except when they play my school. I really enjoy seeing large number of OVAC schools making the playoffs. I would like to see, when reading about a school or a game, that we could read just about that school or game. I can not stand it when a third or fourth school gets mentioned then everything is off topic.
                  Everyone wants BIG RED
                  They will all be ready for us.
                  Their goal will be beating BIG RED.
                  15 weeks is such a short time in our lives.
                  Take them one week at a time.
                  Take their best shots....And give'em ours.
                  And let them know why,
                  "We are the Champions"
                  "We are Tradition"
                  "We are BIG RED"

Comment

• knoxville
                    All Ohio Valley
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bigred_91 View Post
                    Never cool bashing 16-18 year old kids! I'm a fan of all OVAC schools, I cheer for all of them except when they play my school. I really enjoy seeing large number of OVAC schools making the playoffs. I would like to see, when reading about a school or a game, that we could read just about that school or game. I can not stand it when a third or fourth school gets mentioned then everything is off topic.
                    I agree! For some strange reason many of the big red lovers seemed obsessed with the Buckeye 8. I am reading and interesting post about big red and within the post is a bash of the B8.

Comment

Working...
                    X