Week 2: Coshocton (1-0) At St. Clairsville (0-1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jello Man
    The Yoda of Ohio Valley Sports
    • Jul 2011

Week 2: Coshocton (1-0) At St. Clairsville (0-1)

Unlike the bandwagon and fair-weather St. Clairsville fans (some of whom have attacked me for telling the truth over the last 6 years or so), I am not going into hiding. I have been with them for both 0-10 and 14-1 seasons, and will continue to be.

If St. C. is to have any kind of a chance at all against Coshocton, the Red Devils' offense has to get a whole lot better. Despite my reservations on Bigelow as a QB, no QB could do much in the face of the pressure he had all night from Carrollton. The O-line has to get better in a hurry. But, the coaches have to be able to find things these kids can do to give them a better chance.

On the other side of the ball, Coshocton has run the Wing-T since we played them back when I was in high school. And this year, they have a senior halfback in Jake Fortney who obviously is going to be a problem for the St. C. defense.

Coshocton has to be at least a 2-touchdown favorite, IMO.
  • Devil_chaser
    Season Ticket Holder
    • Aug 2010

It wasn't long ago a Wheeling Park team went and beat Big Red. It just goes to show it takes both good coaching and some talent to do well every year. Sure, the coaches aren't perfect, but they have alot to do with the reason StC has been successful. And yes, they've had the kids to do it, too. Not much you can do though when a starting lineman is hurt in the first series and the team couldn't block much either anyways and Bigelow was running for his life the whole game. Its not like the lineman aren't trying and I'm certain they are sick about their performance. Part of this team's success over the past few years hasn't just been the so called D-1 talent, they've had some pretty good offensive lines as well. With that you can do alot. This current line is going to get better, but they have alot of work to do and face some real stiff competition this year.

Comment

• ohio3002
      OVATHLETICS.COM 3K CLUB
      • Aug 2011

They are playing a lot of young kids. It may just be a tough year against a schedule which will bite a few times. But they should learn a lot for the future. This will be a rough week, but it will pay off eventually, late this season or next. And at least you don't have to drive up there. Good luck.

Comment

• ohiomrfootball
        Suspended Member
        • Oct 2008

Where are all the st.c fans to predict this matchup?

Comment

• Jello Man
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by ohiomrfootball View Post
          Where are all the st.c fans to predict this matchup?
          I told you that they are all the fair weather/bandwagon types.

I honestly cannot look at the schedule and point to a game that St. C. will definitely win. Every game is going to be a struggle.
          Last edited by Jello Man; 08-29-2016, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• StCRedDevils
            Valued Contributor
            • Jun 2008

I will support the Red Devils no matter what. Like Jello, I have supported them when they went 0-10 when I was in HS andI have also supported them at every playoff game. This season is going to be a challenge for the Devils but I think last week showed a lot of first game mistakes and jitters for a lot of young men. I think they will be more competitive as the season progresses but, no matter what, I am a Red Devil through and through and am proud to be an alumnus of St. Clairsville High School!
            RED DEVIL PRIDE

Comment

• Jello Man
              • Jul 2011

Man, it looks odd seeing that "0-1" I listed for St. Clairsville. The only other time Brett McLean was 0-1 was in his very first year in 2002. Much like this year's team, that team was very inexperienced. They came back the next week to beat Indian Creek in dramatic fashion.

I don't think that Indian Creek team was as good as this Coshocton team, though. The St. C. kids need to realize that the first game has nothing to do with the second game, at least in the sense that Coshocton doesn't start the game with the lead. This is a totally new game that starts, 0-0.

It will take a monumental team effort for St. C. to pull it off this week. They will have to be clearly better in ALL phases of the game to win.

Comment

• Devil_chaser
                Season Ticket Holder
                • Aug 2010

This series is a good one that I hope continues. We'll see alot of back and forth for these teams if they do. Probably their turn this year, but I'm sure St.C will make it as difficult as possible.

Comment

• ohiomrfootball
                  Suspended Member
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Devil_chaser View Post
                  This series is a good one that I hope continues. We'll see alot of back and forth for these teams if they do. Probably their turn this year, but I'm sure St.C will make it as difficult as possible.
                  I'm taking coshocton by 10.

Comment

• Cannoli137
                    • Jul 2011

It was only the 1st game, hang in there Jello, it's going to get better.

Comment

• ohiomrfootball
                      Suspended Member
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Jello Man View Post
                      I told you that they are all the fair weather/bandwagon types.

I honestly cannot look at the schedule and point to a game that St. C. will definitely win. Every game is going to be a struggle.
                      It is unfortunate but you are mostly correct.

Comment

• papabigred
                        Ohio Valley Sports Expert
                        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Jello Man View Post
                        Man, it looks odd seeing that "0-1" I listed for St. Clairsville. The only other time Brett McLean was 0-1 was in his very first year in 2002. Much like this year's team, that team was very inexperienced. They came back the next week to beat Indian Creek in dramatic fashion.

I don't think that Indian Creek team was as good as this Coshocton team, though. The St. C. kids need to realize that the first game has nothing to do with the second game, at least in the sense that Coshocton doesn't start the game with the lead. This is a totally new game that starts, 0-0.

It will take a monumental team effort for St. C. to pull it off this week. They will have to be clearly better in ALL phases of the game to win.
                        If the program has arrived, as I think it has, Coshocton is going down this weekend..Lord they haven't had anything solid in years.

Comment

• Harvard/Yale
                          Valued Contributor
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by papabigred View Post
                          If the program has arrived, as I think it has, Coshocton is going down this weekend..Lord they haven't had anything solid in years.
                          Coshocton Redskins Football

2007 7-3
                          2008 9-1
                          2009 8-2
                          2010 8-2
                          2011 8-2
                          2014 9-1
                          2015 7-3

Nice research Papa.

Comment

• papabigred
                            Ohio Valley Sports Expert
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Harvard/Yale View Post
                            Coshocton Redskins Football

2007 7-3
                            2008 9-1
                            2009 8-2
                            2010 8-2
                            2011 8-2
                            2014 9-1
                            2015 7-3

Nice research Papa.
                            It was, the only thing that counts is what you do IF you get in past Week 10. 2015 7-3, shut out of postseason #9 hole...2014 9-1, one and done in postseason as #5 seed, oh boy let's jump back to 2011 8-2, beat two locals in playoffs before bowing to that powerhouse program the Johnnies in Week 13, 2010 8-2, sneak in at #8 seed, blown out Week 11 and as a side note that squad's 8 Ws were over teams that won a whopping 23 games between them. Why go back any more, you get the picture...or do you, moron?? They're mediocre when they're at their best, period.
                            Last edited by papabigred; 09-01-2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Harvard/Yale
                              Valued Contributor
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by papabigred View Post
                              It was, the only thing that counts is what you do IF you get in past Week 10. 2015 7-3, shut out of postseason #9 hole...2014 9-1, one and done in postseason as #5 seed, oh boy let's jump back to 2011 8-2, beat two locals in playoffs before bowing to that powerhouse program the Johnnies in Week 13, 2010 8-2, sneak in at #8 seed, blown out Week 11 and as a side note that squad's 8 Ws were over teams that won a whopping 23 games between them. Why go back any more, you get the picture...or do you, moron?? They're mediocre when they're at their best, period.
                              Yea, they've been a real mess for years...

Comment

Working...
                              X