• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrianGossett
    Founder of OVATHLETICS.COM
    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by FairwoodKing View Post
    Who's Fred Ray? I never heard of him. Who cares about Ohio U? They are nobodies. Collaros was still the best qb the valley has ever seen. 30-0 record as a starter and two state championships. Nobody can top that.
    Fred Ray was the MF QB in 1999 and 2000. He walked on at OU, and eventually ended up being their starting QB. I THINK he played basketball at OU too?
    "Failure gave me Strength... Pain was my Motivation" - Michael Jordan

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle... victorious." - Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

Comment

• FairwoodKing
      Valued Contributor
      • Jun 2010

I apologize for demeaning Ohio U. It's a good school. I have some close friends who graduated from there. They would be very upset with me for putting down their school and I do apologize.

But I still have to say that Zack Collaros is by far the best quarterback the Valley has ever seen. When you go 30-0 as a starter and win two state championships, you have to be the best. He was the key to winning those championships. We could not have done it without him.

Give the Devil his due. Collaros sparked this team to two consecutive state championships. True, he needed the rest of the team to back him up, but he was still the kingpin. He will always go down as the best quarterback the valley has ever seen. Just accept it. He's the best!

Comment

• secretstud96
        TROY FETTY
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by OVATHLETICS.COM View Post
        Fred Ray was the MF QB in 1999 and 2000. He walked on at OU, and eventually ended up being their starting QB. I THINK he played basketball at OU too?
        full ride for Football
        Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
        Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!”
        – Sun Tzu, quotes from the Art of War

Comment

• bevo13
          JV Squad
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by anderson View Post
          Nate did not have the brains to play in NFL
          I do believe that this comment is way out of line and has nothing at all to do with this thread. The readers are picking the all-time best qb for the last 20 years, not making negative comments about past players. As a moderator, I feel this comment is so ignorant that I would remove it.
          "There are no football players at Brooke, these kids frickin suck." Stu Goldstein

Comment

• hare_2002
            Valued Contributor
            • Sep 2012

I apologize for demeaning Ohio U. It's a good school. I have some close friends who graduated from there. They would be very upset with me for putting down their school and I do apologize.
            Considering you regularly demean people, programs, and schools in your posts, you have a very low credibility.

Comment

• FairwoodKing
              Valued Contributor
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by hare_2002 View Post
              Considering you regularly demean people, programs, and schools in your posts, you have a very low credibility.
              Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Comment

• FairwoodKing
                Valued Contributor
                • Jun 2010

I've had enough of this. Every day my last post is updated as though it were a new post. Mods, I insist that you close this thread.

Comment

• shadysidesue
                  The Yoda of Ohio Valley Sports
                  • Sep 2010

It's hard not to give Collaros of Steubenville this vote. He was just a great quarterback and should be playing in the NFL, in my opinion. Shadyside has had many good quarterbacks but I think the most overlooked quarterback in this area was Billy Merryman. I think his size had so much to do with why people in the valley didn't give him his due praise. I just hope Billy becomes a football coach someday, he really was special.
                  Tiger Pride Is On Our Side!!

Comment

• tiger77
                    All Ohio Valley
                    • May 2010

Originally posted by shadysidesue View Post
                    It's hard not to give Collaros of Steubenville this vote. He was just a great quarterback and should be playing in the NFL, in my opinion. Shadyside has had many good quarterbacks but I think the most overlooked quarterback in this area was Billy Merryman. I think his size had so much to do with why people in the valley didn't give him his due praise. I just hope Billy becomes a football coach someday, he really was special.
                    Billy graduated from Ohio State and is now a teacher and assistant football coach at Hamilton Township near Columbus.

Comment

• griddad09
                      Season Ticket Holder
                      • Nov 2010

Ohio3002,,,Fred Ray was a very good QB and so was Ryan Church...but to say he was the BEST to ever come out of Ferry i would have to disagree...Dennis Swearingen was a very good QB at Ferry from 1979 to 1981,,,he went on to Ohio U. and was a starting DB before he became the starting QB for 2 1/2 seasons.

Comment

• FairwoodKing
                        Valued Contributor
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by bigbob4122 View Post
                        Collaros is in the CFL and will probably play in the NFL some day
                        I certainly hope you're right. That's where he belongs.

Comment

• Cannoli137
                          The Yoda of Ohio Valley Sports
                          • Jul 2011

If he keeps making plays like he did vs B.C., the NFL will be calling.

Comment

• mlproc
                            Valued Contributor
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by OVATHLETICS.COM View Post
                            I've never in my life heard of Mark Gordon or D Bosely. How many State Championships did they quarterback? Where did they play in college at? Heck, where did they even go to High School at?

Mark Cisar is legit, I was thinking be played later - I'll give you that one.

Bruney??? I thought you were talking about an older Bruney. I like Zac, but I don't consider him on this list either. I'd take former Martins Ferry QB Ryan Church over him.

Bottom line, I stick by having Alex on here. His 3 state championships that he quarterbacked have my respect. He was THE LEADER of those teams. I think there is a lack of appreciation for what it means to win a State Championship and how special that is, let alone 3 of them.
                            Your right me to! Ryan won Ferry's only regional championship, and if i am not mistaken did not throw his second int until the states semis against Y. mooney!

Comment

• FairwoodKing
                              Valued Contributor
                              • Jun 2010

Here's a name I would like to throw out. Will Robinson from Big Red. He was our quarterback in 1930 when we went undefeated, untied, and un-scored-upon. Back in those days, predominantly white schools simply did not have black quarterbacks. In fact, many of the schools didn't have black players on the team at all. Robinson was not only a star football player, but he played in many other sports, including golf. He was a great golfer and made the OHSAA championships. Because he was black, they wouldn't let him play with the white boys. He had to go out on the course at 8:00 in the morning by himself. But he showed up the white boys and came in second in the state championship. When he died a few years ago at the age of 97, the Seattle Times ran a wonderful article about him. They also said good things about Big Red football. I wish those days were back.

Comment

• slony
                                Valued Contributor
                                • Aug 2008

That's rather cruel. How can you back up your statement?
                                its not cruel its the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X