- Here is a breakdown of how the Pirates players and prospects played in winter ball from December 20-27.
Vedados de Mazatlan
- Outfielder Rogelio Noris didn’t play in any games this week. Noris is batting .189 over 23 games with six runs, three doubles, two home runs, seven RBI and two stolen bases with Mazatlan.
Aguilas del Zulia
- Right-hander Diego Moreno didn’t appear in any games this week for Zulia. Moreno has allowed seven runs on 14 hits with three walks and 20 strikeouts.
- Right-hander Julio Vivas is on the roster for Aguilas but has not yet made an appearance.
Caribes de Anzoátegui
- Right-hander Gabriel Alvarado has not yet made an appearance for Anzoátegui.
- Outfielder Gorkys Hernandez played in six games this week for Caribes. He went a combined 3-for-20 (.150 avg) with four runs, a homer, two walks, five RBI, two walks and a stolen base. In 57 games overall, Hernandez is batting .200 with seven doubles, a triple, two homers, 23 runs and 10 stolen bases.
Bravos de Margarita
- Right-hander Anthony Claggett didn’t make any appearances this week for the Bravos. In six starts (nine appearances) overall, Claggett is 1-2 with a 5.19 ERA (34.2 innings) with 12 walks and 16 strikeouts.
- Left-hander Jhonathan Ramos made one appearance this week for the Bravos where he allowed a hit to the only batter he faced. In 11 games with the Bravos he’s allowed six hits, three runs, over 7.0 innings with five walks and four strikeouts.
Cardenales de Lara
- Right-hander Mike Crotta didn’t appear in any games this week. Over three appearances, Crotta hasn’t allowed a run over 3.1 innings with a walk and two strikeouts.
Leones del Caracas
- Catcher Ramon Cabrera hasn’t played in a game since December 5th for the Leones. Cabrera is batting .179 with six runs, a double, triple, three RBI and a stolen base over 25 games.
- Outfielder Corey Wimberly played in four games this week where he went 3-for-18 (.167 avg) with two runs, a double, a walk and a stolen base. Over 28 games overall, Wimberly is batting .242 with 10 runs and eight RBI.
Navegantes de Magallanes
- Outfielder Jose Osuna is on the roster for the Navegantes but has not yet appeared in a game.
Tiburones de La Guaira
- Right-hander Shairon Martis didn’t appear in any games this week. Martis is 2-2 with a 2.47 ERA over nine games (43.2 innings) with 16 walks and 28 strikeouts. Despite a solid ERA, Martis has allowed six home runs over his eight starts.
Toros Del Este
- Right-hander Chris Leroux’s solid season in winter ball came to a close after making his final start on November 13th. In five starts overall, Leroux went 1-2 with a 1.14 ERA with five walks and 21 strikeouts. Leroux allowed just three earned runs over 23.2 innings in his first time professionally starting since 2006 when he was with the Florida Marlins organization.
- Left-hander Aaron Thompson’s season came to a close after making his final appearance on November 9. In two starts (four appearances) this season, Thompson went 0-1 with a 6.10 ERA (9.1 innings) with four walks and three strikeouts.
- Right-hander Tim Wood made his final winter ball appearance on November 17th for the Toros. He allowed one run (unearned) on a walk and a strikeout over 1.0 inning of relief. In 11 appearances this season, Wood has allowed 11 runs (nine earned) on 14 hits over 10.2 innings with five walks and nine strikeouts.
- Shortstop Chase d’Arnaud‘s season with the Toros ended early after suffering a hand injury. In three games, d’Arnaud went 0-for-10 with three strikeouts.
- First baseman Matt Hague’s winter ball season came to a close after playing in 49 games for the Toros. Hague He finished the season with a .259 avg over 49 games with 15 runs, four doubles, two homers, 18 RBI and 21 walks.
- Third Baseman Andy Vasquez hasn’t played in a game for the Toros since November 4. Vasquez has played in five games with the Toros, three at-bat where he is hitless.
- Right-hander Jose Diaz made one appearance this week for the Toros. He tossed a scoreless inning in relief with two hits. Over 24 appearances, Diaz has a 1.99 ERA over 22.2 innings with nine walks and 21 strikeouts.
Leones del Escogido
- Infielder Andy Marte hasn‘t played in a game for Leones since November 27th. Marte is batting .206 with two doubles and two RBI over 19 games.
- Outfielder Starling Marte played in one game this week for Leones. He went 2-for-5 (.400 avg) with three strikeouts. In 30 games Marte is batting .328 with 21 runs, seven doubles, two triples, two home runs, 14 RBI and nine stolen bases.
- Right-hander Nelson Figueroa didn’t appear in any games this week. Figueroa started the winter ball season pitching in the Puerto Rican League where he went 1-1 with a 2.50 ERA over three starts (18.0 innings). He walked six and struck out 15. On his debut with Leones on December 17, Figueroa tossed eight scoreless innings, allowing just two hits. He walked one and struck out six.
Estrellas de Oriente
- Catcher Jake Fox didn’t play in any games this week. Over 31 games this season, Fox is batting .212 with nine runs, seven doubles and 12 RBI.
Diablicos de Azureo
- Outfielder Andrew Lambo finished his winter ball season in Panama with Diablicos. Over 30 games, Lambo is batting .333, which is fourth in the league, with 19 runs, two homers and 12 walks. At the time when he left, Lambo ranked second in doubles (11), first in RBI (29), third in stolen bases (6) and second in hits (39).
Leones de Ponce
- Infielder Benji Gonzalez appeared in four games this week for Leones. Gonzalez went 2-for-9 (.222 avg) with a strikeout. Over 21 games overall, Gonzalez is batting .200 with five runs and a double.
Indios de Mayaguez
- Infielder Jeremy Farrell’s season ended for the Indios after batting .175 with four runs, four doubles and seven RBI over 19 games.
- Infielder Greg Picart played in one game this week where he went 0-for-1 with a strikeout. Picart has appeared in two games so far this season (one at-bat).
- Outfielder Adalberto Santos is on the roster for Indios but has not yet played in a game.
- Left-hander Rinku Singh was named to the ’Team World’ in the Australian League All-Star game, which took place on December 21 on MLB Network. Singh allowed three runs (two earned) on hit hits over 1.0 inning. Over six games this season, Singh is 1-0 with a 1.59 ERA over 11.1 innings with a walk, 10 strikeouts and a save.
- Right-hander Ryan Beckman was also named to the ‘Team World’ in the Australian League All-Star game. Beckman, Singh and Stefan Welch were the three Pirates to get the nod. Beckman allowed one run on one hit over an inning of work . The lone run came from a home run. Over 11 appearances, Beckman has allowed two earned runs on 12 hits over 15.2 innings with three walks and 16 strikeouts.
- Outfielder Calvin Anderson didn’t play in any games this week. Over 23 games this season, Anderson is batting .267 with five homers and 13 RBI.
- Infielder Stefan Welch made his Australian League debut in the All-Star game this season in the All-Star Game. Welch played for ‘Team Australia’. He started at first base and went 1-for-4 with a run and two walks.
- Catcher Travis Scott didn’t play in any games this week for Canberra. Over 23 games, Scott is batting .250 with 14 runs, seven doubles and eight RBI.
Photo credit: MiLB