• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barefacts
    The Yoda of Ohio Valley Sports
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Oldbaldguy View Post
    Checked on Massey and they have Hiland exactly at 15 in the state with no DIV teams in front of them.
    I got 30th from Max Preps

Comment

• mrchmadness
      Season Ticket Holder
      • Jul 2008

There comes a day when old man winter asks, " what have you done all summer?" Skill set is so important as well as working on weaknesses. Many people think that playing AAU ball is working on your game, when in fact, you keep playing to your limitations. I love AAU ball, but a player must work on their game and skill set, then take it to the AAU circuit in the summer. For example, if a player can't go left, they are not going to do it in a game. They need to work on it continuously.
      Last edited by mrchmadness; 02-28-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Jake
        OVATHLETICS.COM 3K CLUB
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mrchmadness View Post
        There comes a day when old man winter asks, " what have you done all summer?" Skill set is so important as well as working on weaknesses. Many people think that playing AAU ball is working on your game, when in fact, you keep playing to your limitations. I love AAU ball, but a player must work on their game and skill set, then take it to the AAU circuit in the summer. For example, if a player can't go left, they are not going to do it in a game. They need to work on it continuously.
        So many want to play multiple sports and that limits the work skills you suggest.

Comment

• mrchmadness
          Season Ticket Holder
          • Jul 2008

I agree with that, but It is how you manage your time. There is plenty of time in the summer. If you want to get better and are dedicated in getting better, you will find time. It comes down to what is important to you. This is just my honest opinion.
          Last edited by mrchmadness; 02-28-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Tigerfan
            Valued Contributor
            • Sep 2010

I agree with Sue regarding the LT'S, practice times were about 60% of what is minimal....while some time you may be limited to access because of games, the weight room, stairways, small gym, and film room are all valuable options.
            YOU'RE NOT BORN A WINNER....YOU'RE NOT BORN A LOSER.....YOU ARE BORN A CHOOSER

Comment

• barefacts
              • Jun 2011

Ohio Girls Basketball Div IV Past State Finals

2016 Waterford 29 Fostoria Wendelin 27
              2015 Fort Laramie 55 Waterford 48
              2014 Reedsville 49 Rosecrans 38
              2013 Fort Laramie 57 Hiland 42
              2012 Arlington 52 Hiland 37
              2011 Harvest Prep 51 Fort Laramie 31
              2010 Hiland 59 East Canton 54
              2009 Africentric 55 Hiland 46
              2008 Hiland 44 Africentric 37
              2007 Africentric 44 New Knoxville 27
              2006 Hiland 59 East Canton 54
              2005 Hiland 55 New Knoxville 47
              2004 Minster 44 Mansfield St. Peters 33
              2003 Marion Local 48 Holgate 26
              2002 Delphos St. Johns 50 Shadyside 32
              2001 Jackson Center 53 Holgate 47
              2000 Hiland 46 Marion Local 30

2002 Shadysides greatest team ever only lost two regular season games. Both to Mount De Chantal. WV.
              Outside of that, no other OVAC team could touch them.

Sue, did you ever get a chance to see that team play ?

As you can see, Hiland has been to the big dance 8 times and won 5 state championships.
              That's what hard work and dedication gets you.
              Last edited by barefacts; 02-28-2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• Harvard/Yale
                Valued Contributor
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by barefacts View Post
                I got 30th from Max Preps
                What are they in Ohio Div IV? That's all that matters.

Comment

• barefacts
                  • Jun 2011

Agree rankings don't matter. It's how you finish that matters.

Comment

• Jake
                    OVATHLETICS.COM 3K CLUB
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mrchmadness View Post
                    I agree with that, but It is how you manage your time. There is plenty of time in the summer. If you want to get better and are dedicated in getting better, you will find time. It comes down to what is important to you. This is just my honest opinion.
                    I recall some years ago at a Touchdown Club meeting John Magistro was touching on this topic. John's opinion was two sports was enough for a h s athlete. He said a single sport was a year long effort, no longer report in August and over in Oct. ( not a quote )

Wrestling seems to be somewhat accurate as a single year long sport. Last year I was at the Hiller Classic at Trinity H S in Washington Pa. There was a 6th grade wrestler there from Waynesburg . A very athletic looking kid @ 135. He was a single sport kid, wrestling at least 150 matches a year traveling to compete. Two years ago in Shadyside was a kid from the All American Wrestling in Washington Pa. The kid pinned every wrestler in less then a minute, again a one sport kid. Once more, a kid from southern WV was wrestling in Moundsville. He pinned everyone. I was able to talk with him while we were both looking over the posted results. He was the WV Champion the previous year and was undefeated at that point. He would be a freshman this year, can't remember his name but might recall if I saw it in print. Again a single sport kid.

Comment

• mrchmadness
                      Season Ticket Holder
                      • Jul 2008

Strasburg boys led Beallsville 60-2 at half. Final 91-10

Comment

• Oldbaldguy
                        JV Squad
                        • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Da Game View Post
                        Your advice to the ovac is what i have been saying for years...It's not just Hiland....It's the differents of the way they play the game in that area....At the tournament drawings they jump to play ovac teams....#5 Ridgewood jumped at the chance to play #1 Bellaire....And you see what happened....It wasn't the 1st time a 1-seed from the ovac was upset in the sectionals....Fundamentals,attitude, discipline, and teamwork...Team defense is big in the leagues out there
                        Yeah, there is another level of basketball being played in some places.

One thing is I don't think there are too many places that care about, support, and encourage girls sports. Where they do have all of that you generally find a very good coach that has won to the point where people have jumped on the bandwagon.

There are too many places where girls basketball is horrific. I think we need more good coaches in the sport - but even if you aren't a good coach, at least teach the kids how to be proficient at the fundamental skills of the game.

Comment

Working...
                        X