• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calisback619
    All Ohio Valley
    • Jun 2008

Brady Hoke's future

Talked to some folks in Ann Arbor this week from current player family members as well as former player parents. If Hoke doesn't beat MSU or Ohio he will be the former head coach of Michigan. Large boosters are becoming very unhappy with the product being rolled out onto the field. Word in the Bay area is Harbaugh to Michigan looks very plausible.
  • hanratty5
    Valued Contributor
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by calisback619 View Post
    Talked to some folks in Ann Arbor this week from current player family members as well as former player parents. If Hoke doesn't beat MSU or Ohio he will be the former head coach of Michigan. Large boosters are becoming very unhappy with the product being rolled out onto the field. Word in the Bay area is Harbaugh to Michigan looks very plausible.
    If I was a Michigan fan and this is what it takes, I would bite the bullet and hope they lose these games!! I cannot even imagine what Harbaugh would bring to Michigan. Could be Meyer's worst nightmare..He might even get "sick" again...

Comment

• CW Heisman97
      Season Ticket Holder
      • Aug 2014

Interesting quote from former UM linebacker Brandin Hawthorne(on UM scout Stadium & Main board) about politics in regards to playing time & the fact that the current staff does not emphasize player developement. He was starter who lost his job to a freshman Morgan (who never impressed me much) since DM was one of "THEIR GUYS"

A lot of UM fans on various sites mention a ton of guys who are sitting behind less talented starters- that struggle game after game. Michigan has 4/5 star lineman(Kalis) who started at guard last year & played well in the opener sitting behind true freshman & walkons....despite out performing them in the opener.

Comment

• Jake
        OVATHLETICS.COM 3K CLUB
        • Nov 2010

Really puzzled with Michigan. Hoke has recruited well, better then well, super, among the best in the US each year. I just can't figure out the can't get the talent on paper to the field. Come Ohio State week, Devin Gardner will play like the Heisman winner.

Comment

• calisback619
          All Ohio Valley
          • Jun 2008

Hoke and his staff have been very poor at player development. Attendance may dip below the 100,000 mark this week, maybe that's why they created the buy 2 coke products and get 2 free tickets to the game.

Comment

• Redengineer
            Valued Contributor
            • Sep 2010

Hoke the Joke will have a road map as his only "Ohio" problem after this season. Benching Gardner was a mistake.
            RIP Albert Ottenweiler, the last true Bishop of Steubenville.

Comment

• slony
              Valued Contributor
              • Aug 2008

Remember people hated Rich Rod because he wasn't a " Michigan man" in reality Rich's record improved his 3 years. Well they got thier beloved " Michigan Man". And look at how that's turned out

The lesson in this: don't listen to crazy alumni

Comment

• hare_2002
                Valued Contributor
                • Sep 2012

Hoke got Killed today

Comment

• calisback619
                  All Ohio Valley
                  • Jun 2008

Matter of when not if now.

Comment

• football7
                    Valued Contributor
                    • Jan 2011

Best man for the job would be Les Miles, but I don't see him leaving LSU. His contract guarantees him the highest paid SEC coach and a guaranteed raise anytime another coach tops his salary. Not just that but also the recruiting pipeline he has available in his backyard would make it tough to leave. Only intriguing part is though he is just another guy in the SEC among great teams every year. He could and probably would dominate most of the Big10 and make UM a top 10 team in the country every year. As an OSU fan I wouldn't want him there, but the Big10 needs Michigan to be better for them to be relevant. The conference needs Michigan back.

Comment

• CW Heisman97
                      Season Ticket Holder
                      • Aug 2014

Michigan is simply not a top destination job anymore & top flight coaches are not going to leave premium jobs to coach at Michigan. The top 7 guys UM might be interested likely include:Nick Saban, David Shaw, Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh, Jon Gruden, Les Miles, and Kevin Sumlin.The Harbaugh brothers and Gruden could land any NFL opening very quickly plus who would leave Bama, Stanford, LSU, and Texas A&M in talent rich recruiting areas to come to Michigan.

Unfortunately if Coach Hoke is fired I can only see them landing a top OC/DC who wants a head coaching job, recently fired coach(or a coach on the hot seat like Muschamp)or a low level D1 coach seeking out what use to be a destination job
                      Last edited by CW Heisman97; 09-29-2014, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• football7
                        Valued Contributor
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by CW Heisman97 View Post
                        Michigan is simply not a top destination job anymore & top flight coaches are not going to leave premium jobs to coach at Michigan. The top 7 guys UM might be interested likeky include:Nick Saban, David Shaw, Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh, Jon Gruden, Les Miles, and Kevin Sumlin.The Harbaugh brothers and Gruden could land any NFL opening very quickly plus who would leave Bama, Stanford, LSU, and Texas A&M in talent right recruiting areas to come to Michigan.

Unfortunately if Coach Hoke is fired I can only see them landing a top OC/DC who wants a head coaching job, recently fired coach(or a coach on the hot seat like Muschamp)or a low level D1 coach seeking out what use to be a destination job
                        Very much agree with most of your post. Like I said earlier, only way one of those top coaches leaves is if they want to go from being just another great coach/program in a great conference(SEC), to being the top dog every year in a weaker conference(Big10). I love the list of your possible targets, but I would include Oregon's OC. That offense would do very well in the Big10. This is assuming no other big name head coaches want the job. If you're going to hire a coordinator, OC from Oregon is the one to get.

Comment

• CW Heisman97
                          Season Ticket Holder
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by football7 View Post
                          Very much agree with most of your post. Like I said earlier, only way one of those top coaches leaves is if they want to go from being just another great coach/program in a great conference(SEC), to being the top dog every year in a weaker conference(Big10). I love the list of your possible targets, but I would include Oregon's OC. That offense would do very well in the Big10. This is assuming no other big name head coaches want the job. If you're going to hire a coordinator, OC from Oregon is the one to get.
                          Your post is spot on football7. Scott Frost should be near the top of UM since he would not only bring a brand of exciting football, but also strenght & conditioning methods/player development to Michigan that the football team lacks at this time. The powers at Michigan are probably in such a state of denial on how they view the UM job that they probably think the guys listed above jump at this potential job opening...while OC like Frost wait by the phone for an interview.

I think its time for UM fans/administration to accept reality(just like me)...UM is a second tier team in a mediocre BIG 10 conference that needs to stop pretending its something that it is not.

Comment

• BrianGossett
                            Founder of OVATHLETICS.COM
                            • Jun 2008

If Hoke is fired mid season, any possibility of Lloyd Carr filling an interim role?
                            "Failure gave me Strength... Pain was my Motivation" - Michael Jordan

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle... victorious." - Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

Comment

• cbc64
                              Season Ticket Holder
                              • Jul 2008

I don't think he will be fired midseason, and really I think the only way he gets fired at all is if Dave Brandon is too. I just get a sense from Dave Brandon that he is not a guy who likes to admit when he is wrong.

I think if Hoke is a good coach and a hell of a nice guy but just came to UM at the wrong time. If he would have been the coach that follows Lloyd Carr he probably has some success. He would have run a similar system to what was already in place and had the same type of recruits needed to keep a pro style offense going. I also think Rich Rod is a good coach and just was not a good fit a UM from the standpoint of his personality and offense. I think it has been a round peg in a square whole since Carr retired.

Unfortunately for UM I think they have dug themselves a whole that will be impossible to get out of. Recruits are decommitting, they do not have a good quarterback on the roster at all now, and the talent that they have recruited has not been developed at all. UM's best hope for success is to just blow up the entire athletic department (the head of the department). Hire a new AD and do a complete evaluation of all mens and womens sports teams and make changes where necessary. The only programs having any success right now are hockey and mens basketball, all others heads should be on the chopping block and when coaches are fired they should get the best available candidate and not stick to the "Michigan Man" montra that is not working.

Comment

Working...
                              X